September 23, 2014, 12:19:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHAll Sports ShowdownSports - Out Of Control • : Baseball Pitches Illustrated »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 8958 times) [1]

Baseball Pitches Illustrated
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:40:28 PM » by QB
Hurry, hurry! Get your pitch guide here. Can't tell on pitch from another with your pitch guide!

http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/2007/09/20/baseball-pitches/

I'm really quite disappointed that there isn't a baseball section here. And that's coming from a Canadian.

Re: Baseball Pitches Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:59:37 PM » by KD Martin
You won't get an argument from me about baseball.  I have to live with the TX Rangers, and I'm still a fan.  If you would like to add baseball articles on a regular basis, I'll add a topic for it in the sports section.  Heck, I can post there regularly, I've been a fan for 52 years.  If we don't get enough posts, I can always move the posts into the sports general section, but a baseball topic sounds OK to me.

It's only 24 days 'til spring training, 55 days until, YES, opening day.

Up to you, it's a towering fly ball to center and you're gonna have a tough catch....

Click for Clear Sky Clock

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:50:27 PM » by QB
I am deeply impressed by your devotion to the Rangers. I've been a lifelong Cubs (Ernie Banks is still the best in my books) fan and have a serious soft spot for the Orioles (Frankie Robinson).

My lifelong dream (I guess I would have to retire first) is to get an old motorhome or VW bus and spend the entire summer watching baseball in every minor league park I could find. A steady diet of hot dogs, beer, pretzels and long summer evenings along the first base line.

/qb

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:02:57 AM » by Cináed
My lifelong dream (I guess I would have to retire first) is to get an old motorhome or VW bus and spend the entire summer watching baseball in every minor league park I could find. A steady diet of hot dogs, beer, pretzels and long summer evenings along the first base line.

/qb

...followed shortly by angioplasty and then an undetermined number of coronary artery bypasses...

America's health care system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system.
~ Walter Cronkite

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:13 PM » by KD Martin
A new board titled, simply, "Baseball" is up in the Sports section.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:40:58 AM » by QB
Why thank you very much!  :D

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 07:44:12 AM » by KD Martin
You get to make the 2nd post.  Hop's was in jest, but hey!  It got some replies.  It's almost time for spring training!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:27:15 PM » by hhopper

I found the pitch guide interesting but still a little confusing.  I'm always amazed when the baseball announcers comment on pitches.  They sure see a lot of stuff I don't see.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” –Humphrey Bogart

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:13 PM » by Mr Gilly
Many of the Baseball Color Commentators have the advantage of watching the TV monitors in the broadcast booth showing the pitch rewind in slow motion back into the pitchers hand before it is replayed for the audience. And as experienced retired players they also recognize most of the pitches as first seen, plus they also recognize the signals given by the catchers and are even involved with stealing signs for the home team I have suspected on more than one occasion. It is part of the game to anticipate what would be the logical next pitch to throw, too!
 I am disappointed that  there was no mention of the Knuckle Ball as the one pitch which can be recognized early but not easily hittable since it will dart or dive in any direction once a gust of draft of air catches the seams to make it start to rotate. The best hitter the game ever saw was Ted Williams whose eye sight was 20/05 which occurs once in a million in the population. Ted Williams could see the seams on the baseball as it left the pitchers hand and follow the rotations right up to when his bat hit it and again as it left the bat. I predict that the next time we ever see such a performance will be another player that has both the hand eye coordination with 20/05 vision. I use to have 20/15 but was too clumsy and only average stature so making it to the majors would have been next to impossible! Am waiting with anticipation for the Winter Classics to begin, as that first time three years ago was the best games we have seen for some time.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:46 PM » by KD Martin
"no mention of the Knuckle Ball as the one pitch which can be recognized early but not easily hittable since it will dart or dive in any direction once a gust of draft of air catches the seams to make it start to rotate."

Who said, "The best way to catch a knuckleball is to wait for it to stop rolling and then pick it up?"

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:34:15 AM » by Mr Gilly
"no mention of the Knuckle Ball as the one pitch which can be recognized early but not easily hittable since it will dart or dive in any direction once a gust of draft of air catches the seams to make it start to rotate."

Who said, "The best way to catch a knuckleball is to wait for it to stop rolling and then pick it up?"

Bob Euker.
http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2007/12/03/
Euk and Joe Garagiola were my favorites! And the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays, my hero!

(Read 8958 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored