November 27, 2014, 07:45:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHThe Tech SectionTech Rants And Raves • : Blackle vs Google »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 4152 times) [1]

Blackle vs Google
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:39 AM » by lordfoul
I have for the better part of a year been using Google's energy saving search page Blackle as my default home page in lieu of Google, partly because I like the simplistic premise of saving energy by not powering a great white light on my screen and partly because I hate a bright monitor, as my desktop is as black as possible for ease of use; it just bugs my eyes.  Lately I've noticed a discrepancy between the search results from www.blackle.com and those produced from www.google.com .  The results are obviously not as relevant from the Blackle search and seem to be far more obscure in general; not a good feature in a search engine.  I switched back as soon as I noticed this. I am curious what others see when searching from each site and what the heck is the basis for the skew in results based upon?  I await the word of the esteemed users of Cage Match to help me confirm this finding and if so figure out what the heck this it's about.  I'm a little steamed at this development.

Try the word "green" in each search and compare the result.  Crazy.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:23:16 PM by hhopper »

E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.

Re: Blackle vs Google
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:20:07 AM » by KD Martin
Although Blackle is "powered by Google" it is not a part of Google.  Blackle links to a site owned by Heap Media.  Search results from sites powered by Google may differ from Google's own results because of advertising and other variables.

Here's the feedback page about Blackle from Google.

Click for Clear Sky Clock

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:53:43 AM » by user999

I use Clusty.com as my home page. Supposedly, they don't save your IP address, attached to all your searches for all eternity like Google and some other search engines. I don't really know if that's true or why I care all that much but Google just makes me nervous and I get the creeps whenever I feel like people are spying on me.

Yes, I know about add-ons to foil Google but they just add to congestion of bandwidth in general and I don't want to use them either.

I seem to kindly recall the name 'Heap Media' from some software I used long ago but I can't remember what software.

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:03:01 AM » by Ken in Berkeley
I think Blackle looks very cool but I never actually use it for some reason. ::)

(Read 4152 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored