August 01, 2014, 04:22:03 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHThe Tech SectionAviation Tech • : One Sweet Green Aircraft - The Hybrid Tilt Rotor »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 4747 times) [1]

One Sweet Green Aircraft - The Hybrid Tilt Rotor
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:30:06 PM » by KD Martin
One Sweet Green Aircraft - The Hybrid Tilt Rotor

From Gizmag

Is this another Moller Air Car? We hope not, its simplicity is revolutionary.

Tilt-rotor aircraft have been around since the 1950s, offering the vertical take-off, hovering and landing abilities of a helicopter with the range, high flight ceiling, speed and fuel economy of a turboprop aeroplane.

Now a new venture from Falx Air Vehicles is planning to push the fuel economy angle even further by using a hybrid-electric motor and inbuilt solar arrays.

The company expects its upcoming compact single and double-seater tiltrotor aircraft to use as little as 10 litres of fuel per hour airborne, and the quiet electric operation should see these small, light and manoeuvrable aircraft make solid stealth vehicles for military uses.

Though not yet confirmed, we may see a full-size prototype as early as the Farnsworth air show this year, and Falx is aiming to have the craft fully certified by the end of 2009.

Click here to see the Falx Aircraft website, with more photos.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:54:51 PM by KD Martin »

Click for Clear Sky Clock

Re: One Sweet Green Aircraft - The Hybrid Tilt Rotor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:43:52 PM » by RDH

Great Stuff!
Here is a link to other battery/electric aircraft. c|net News.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Sir Arthur C. Clarke

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:41 AM » by KD Martin
Neat article.  I especially liked this link to other experimental electric aircraft. 

I'd miss the noise from a radial engine -- who needs a tach?  You can tell what's going on in any aerobatic maneuver by the pitch of the engine and prop.

But if someone could retrofit an electric, with the cost of blue gas going up, I could live with it.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:56:10 AM » by Misanthropic Scott
Do I need a pilot's license for this one? Or, is it like an ultralight? If the latter, I'm buying one tomorrow. OK, maybe not. But it sounds good.

Whatever your cause, it’s a lost cause without population control. -- Paul Ehrlich

I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one. -- from moveon.org.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:44:07 AM » by KD Martin
You'll need a license, and probably rotorcraft and multi-engine ratings.  Helicopters aren't nearly as easy to fly as fixed wing SE (single engine) craft.

I doubt it will be certified for IFR, so you wouldn't need an instrument rating.

I've always wanted a rotorcraft rating, but they are not inexpensive.  For this craft though, I just might reconsider.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:13:44 PM » by Misanthropic Scott
Dang. Diabetics don't get pilot licenses. Discrimination, of course, but true nonetheless.

Whatever your cause, it’s a lost cause without population control. -- Paul Ehrlich

I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one. -- from moveon.org.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:18:24 PM » by hhopper

Too cool for words.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” –Humphrey Bogart

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:04:45 PM » by oz4me
I can't wait to see it fly. I want one.....sigh :'(

I am in your future.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:55:55 PM » by KD Martin
I can't wait to see it fly. I want one.....sigh  :'(

One could get an old job, pipeline fllying, an extremely dangerous job that could be made safer by this new craft.  I'd much rather fly the tilt rotor than a conventional chopper (or a fixed wing) for that application.  10 liters/hr. fuel usage and one could make some good money.  Problems?  Bad weather?  Instead of a 2000 ft. runway, a small clear area is all you need for an emergency landing.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:54:50 AM by hhopper »

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:03:35 PM » by oz4me
Sorry KD missed your meaning in your post. Which one do you think is better for pipe line duty, the tilt rotor or the chopper in the video?
The chopper pilot is the video is very skilled but very scary too! I think that anyone doing that kind of flying all the time is really pushing the envelope.

I am in your future.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:17 PM » by KD Martin
Thanks, oz!  I rewrote my comment, perhaps it's more clear now.  I was offered a job, pipeline flying in a fixed wing Cessna 310, and flat turned it down.

Someone could make some good bucks with that aircraft (if it's not a bunch of smoke).  When the wxr turns, just set down and have a sandwich.  Find an FBO way out of the way of commercial traffic.  10 liters/hr. fuel consumption is extraordinary for a camera mission.  It's tempting.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 12:11:47 PM » by hhopper

We have a chopper jockey in our area that flies just like that guy.  He sprays for mosquitoes in the swampy areas.  I love to watch him but it's scary as hell.

The helicopter is smaller than the one in the video... sort of like this one.  He flies the thing like a crop duster.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” –Humphrey Bogart

(Read 4747 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored