July 30, 2014, 03:06:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHThe Tech SectionScience / Space • : Japan May Beat US To Solar Power »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 4895 times) [1]

Japan May Beat US To Solar Power
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:44:30 PM » by KD Martin
Japan May Beat US To Solar Power

From Live Science

Powersat, credt JAXA   

The Sun emits 10 trillion times the energy consumed on Earth. Even with fractional efficiency of the collection sats and receivers, we could free ourselves from oil dependance.

The Japanese space agency, JAXA, has been providing steady support over the past decade for their Space Solar Power System (SSPS). The goal is to launch a geostationary satellite by 2030 that could supply 500,000 homes on Earth with a gigawatt of power.

Currently, JAXA researchers are looking at both microwaves and lasers as possible options for beaming the energy down.

"The technology for microwave transmission is more advanced, since it is based on current communication satellites," said Susumu Sasaki, a manager at JAXA's Advanced Mission Research Group.

The US has its own plans

"If you decide to go now with today's technology, you're talking about the same cost as ground-based solar," Mark Hopkins, senior vice president of the National Space Society said, which is around 30 cents per kilowatt-hour.

That's still too high, according to Hopkins, but he thinks costs will continue to come down, especially if development dollars start coming in. The Pentagon-sponsored report offered a roadmap for how to build a 10-megawatt test satellite over the next 10 years for $10 billion.

But where that money will come from is hard to say. According to Hopkins, NASA sees this as an energy application and the Department of Energy sees this as a space enterprise.

"There are bureaucratic problems finding a home for this project," he said.

Someone will do it, and in the process make more money than all the oil barons could dream.

Click for Clear Sky Clock

Re: Japan May Beat US To Solar Power
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:21 AM » by ECA
Unless the GOV. pushes it, no CORP will do it.

If all the world is a stage, I am the target of tomatoes and fresh fruit.
Hemorrhoids Unite, the first arsehole to raise his hand is president.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:14 AM » by curious
Unless the GOV. pushes it, no CORP will do it.

That's because it isn't a cost efficient replacement for base power generation tech. 

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:25:23 PM » by ECA
So the GOV places a power generation in SPACE, and RENTS the power to corps that SELL the the Cits...and we ALL GET SCREW'D..

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31:24 AM » by user999
So the GOV places a power generation in SPACE, and RENTS the power to corps that SELL the the Cits...and we ALL GET SCREW'D..

I don't disagree with you ECA but isn't this exactly what the U.S. brand of capitalism is all about and isn't it functioning perfectly?

The government fleeces poorer citizens to generate wealth, then hands the wealth over to fabulously wealthy corporations, so they can generate even more wealth by once again fleecing the poorer citizens, then they hand all the booty over to the CEOs and other, wealthier citizens, who own stock in the corporations.

I mean, isn't this the way the system was designed to work (by the wealthier citizens)?

It seems to me there's only a problem if you're not a wealthy citizen - or if the citizens who own stock in the international corporations aren't U.S. citizens (like, if they're China).

Then it's totally fucked up.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:30:29 PM » by ECA
true...
but i would want TRUE COST...

I would love the USA gov to FORCE these corps to compete.
Such as Grocery stores.
show that they CAN make a profit and sell CHEAPER...the Profit goes to OUR taxes.

Cell towers, that are in ROAMING areas, and VERY USA high tech...
If the corps want them, THEY BUY THEM...and the Gov gets the money for taxes..there are Many areas STILL not covered by cell towers..

Install a MAJOR Fiber backbone..one that isnt going to be OBSOLETE in 5-10 years.

Build BETTER freeways, that dont COST us 10 times as much..get the kids out there, and TEACH them HOW TO WORK..

(Read 4895 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored