April 22, 2014, 11:00:20 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHWater CoolerTop 10 / Bottom 10 • : Top 10 WORST Inventions of all time..... »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 39967 times) [1] 2

Top 10 WORST Inventions of all time.....
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:06:19 PM » by Catherine
Let's hear the nominees....anything from cell phones to the atomic bomb, what are the ten worst things invented ever and why?

My personal picks:

The Car Alarm
Show me a time when this worked. The car alarm gets double points for being not only one of the most annoying inventions but one of the least useful. I remember when I lived in Rhode Island a radio station had a promotion where someone would set off a car alarm and see how long it would take for the cops to show up –they never did. Just today there was a car alarm blaring outside my window. Everyone is so used to these things they simply (try to) tune them out.

The Cell Phone
Do you remember a time when you could go out to dinner without listening to someone at the next table SCREAMING INTO THEIR CELL PHONE? The worst are airplane talkers. There you are, trying to relax before a flight and the self-important business person next to you IS BARKING INTO HIS CELLPHONE. The only upside is that people talking on flights are almost always, 1. giving away corporate secrets, 2. giving employees a dressing down, or 3. having fights with their significant others. Entertaining, but I’d still rather read my book in peace.

"Dude! This is pretty f-cked up right here!"

Re: Top 10 WORST Inventions of all time.....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:23:41 PM » by Rick
The stethoscope...but, what I really mean is that I can't decide, so I'll take the easy "out" with a reference to Neil Postman's "Technopoly"...really, if he has it right, it is all the stethoscope's fault.

"I know I'm small, but I enjoy living anyway.  Yes, I do."

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 03:57:40 AM » by Joao
The Personal Computer.

If it wasn´t invented I would be working in something healthy, like shoveling dirt and gravel in the middle of the desert, instead of loosing sleep hours online checking this Forum...

>:(

;)

Hey Kids, GET OFF MY LAWN !!!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:44:31 AM » by Rod
Sealed plastic packaging.

Remember when the environmentalists got after McDonald's for their foam containers?  Where is the public outrage over packaging that is not only a menace to the planet, but requires consumers to risk life and limb to open?

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 12:43:16 PM » by david
God, man, war, hate, circumcision, religion.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 05:37:59 PM » by Mr. Fusion
chopsticks

I'm noted for my looks, not my brains, or was it my brains and not my looks, Damn, you decide.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 07:33:28 PM » by eldarSpirit
The prince albert piercing... if you aren't familiar with it google at your own risk.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 03:14:59 AM » by wolf06
Saline breast implants! Silicone was way better. But I think they have the packaging better this time so there is hope for the wrinkle boobies when silicone comes back out.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 08:52:00 PM » by SPH
Kind of off-topic, but speaking of inventions: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6176491654107670145&pl=true

;D

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:02:44 PM » by KB

The Car Alarm
Show me a time when this worked.

Absolutely true.  What's the first thing you do when you hear a car alarm?  Ignore it.

I bet we could even find cases on record where someone has heard their own car alarm go off as the car was being broken into, and ignored it, wrongly assuming that it was a false alarm involving somebody else's car.

And cell phones in restaurants?  Don't get me started.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:09:35 PM » by joshua23
the automobile and all variants of it.  Need I explain why?

I was going to put cellphone....but I've decided I like them......they are going to do wonders for cleaning up the gene pool over the next 20 years.

spray on hair.....another ....need i explain why.

Breast implants of any kind, from tissue to saline to silicone.  After all, the important stuff is all in your jeans. (double entandre meant here ;) )

" A true friend stabs you in the front!!!"....Oscar Wilde

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:28:07 AM » by RocRizzo
Sliced Bread  Though everyone touts the virtues of this "invention," the fact of the matter is that when bread is sliced, it gets stale faster.

Capitalism  This "invention" has led to greed, war, and suffering throughout the world.  Not to mention the environmental problems caused by it.  What happened to the good old barter system.

Communism This "invention," created to combat capitalism, with totalitarian rule, sounds good in theory, but just doesn't work in real life.  As someone said absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Pay Toilets This was invented by some capitalist no doubt.  Someone who wants to make money off of our bodily functions is a crook.

Reality TV series'  This is what happens when the greedy corporate tv executives don't want to hire writers. 

Underwear  Who really needs this, unless they live in a cold climate?

God  Created in the image of humans, this "invention" has led to more war, strife, and ill feelings, than anything on the planet.

Automated telephone dialers  This invention makes it possible for greedy telemarketers to call you when you are eating dinner.

Dog Sweaters  These things only make dogs look stupider than their owners.  Dogs have fur already, what the heck do they need with sweaters.  It's not like the dog is able to choose one he likes either.

Bagpipes A musical instrument that sounds like someone torturing a cat, is not a musical instrument.  It's just a noise maker.

Just the random wanderings in my brain.  No order of importance, or lack there of, in this case.  Just some really bad inventions.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword" - John Sheridan, Earth Alliance

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 07:59:02 AM » by Old Guy
Capitalism: it's not Capitalism, it's AMERICAN Capitalism that has created the problems. In concept, capitalism is great. It can also be argued that, on the up side, capitalism has driven many of the nifty technoventions we all take for granted. Without the impetus to create something that will sell, many inventions would have fallen by the wayside... 'course that in turn creates problems. The same things you posit could be said about any of the major economic systems.

Communism was not created to combat capitalism. History lesson needed.

God: pablum for the masses?

Bag pipes: originally intended as an instrument to stir troops to action in battle. Their piercing sound , in theory, rises above the clamor of war. And a well-played bagpipe sounds great... it's just too easy to play one badly. Ever heard an electric guitar played badly? (I should know... I played badly!)

It's not how old you are, it's how old you act.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 10:29:59 AM » by RocRizzo
geeze, there's a party pooper in every crowd.
Maybe I should add that as 11

"Understanding is a three-edged sword" - John Sheridan, Earth Alliance

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 11:04:44 AM » by LennyRRT
Sliced Bread  Though everyone touts the virtues of this "invention," the fact of the matter is that when bread is sliced, it gets stale faster.

Pay Toilets This was invented by some capitalist no doubt.  Someone who wants to make money off of our bodily functions is a crook.

Underwear  Who really needs this, unless they live in a cold climate?

Automated telephone dialers  This invention makes it possible for greedy telemarketers to call you when you are eating dinner.

Sliced bread - gets eaten so fast in our house it doesn't get a chance to go stale.  Wonder Bread does seem to keep fresh longer though, and they have a new whole grain white bread for the kids.

I haven't seen a pay toilet since...okay I've never seen a pay toilet and I have used toilets almost my whole life.  I would classify this with the "War on Christmas" - as a fake issue.

Underwear?  To quote the great Cosmo Kramer - "My boys need a home!"

Automated telephone dialers - I think the death penalty is unfairly given out, but...it should be used to punish the jackasses that wake me up to sell me stuff (I work midnights).  I agree, this is one of the ten worst inventions.

(Read 39967 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored