December 18, 2014, 01:37:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« Dvorak's CAGE MATCHThe Tech SectionScience / Space • : Missing link' fossil seal walked »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 2640 times) [1]

Missing link' fossil seal walked
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:39:17 AM » by Mr Gilly
This should really challenge the gray matter of the Creationists!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8012322.stm

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:17:52 AM by KD Martin »

Re: Missing link' fossil seal walked
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:51:26 AM » by hhopper
© 2009 John C. Dvorak's Cage Match

Creationists have gray matter? Who knew? 

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” –Humphrey Bogart

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:59 AM » by KD Martin

That could have been the headline!  Creationists have gray matter!

Click for Clear Sky Clock

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:42 PM » by Misanthropic Scott
Very interesting article. We've previously found some good intermediates on the way to cetaceans, such as ambulocetus and basilosaurus. It's nice to see the fossil record filling in on pinnipeds.

The gray matter in a creationist is a misplaced, badly malformed, and dyspeptic liver. Never allow one to read poetry at you.

The Vogon Poem ... if you can stomach it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Whatever your cause, it’s a lost cause without population control. -- Paul Ehrlich

I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one. -- from moveon.org.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:51:23 PM » by KD Martin
Scott, I won't disregard your warnings in the future.  Now I must relieve my brain of those 'words' in that order, I'll find someone to micturate all over them.

Click for Clear Sky Clock

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:01:28 PM » by Mr Gilly
Very interesting article. We've previously found some good intermediates on the way to cetaceans, such as ambulocetus and basilosaurus. It's nice to see the fossil record filling in on pinnipeds.

The gray matter in a creationist is a misplaced, badly malformed, and dyspeptic liver. Never allow one to read poetry at you.

I fail to see the connection to the author Douglas Adams, was he a creationist? When he was writing did he self medicate on recreational intoxicants? And finally, did Douglas Adams write tongue in cheek, or was he self hypnotized? I am not impressed by the obtuse nor the obnoxious!
Now here is a verse that both asks you something and makes a humorous comment at the same time:

Why reeks the goat on yonder hill
Who daily dines on Chlorophyll?

Author unknown

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:47:33 PM » by Misanthropic Scott

I fail to see the connection to the author Douglas Adams, was he a creationist? When he was writing did he self medicate on recreational intoxicants? And finally, did Douglas Adams write tongue in cheek, or was he self hypnotized? I am not impressed by the obtuse nor the obnoxious!
Now here is a verse that both asks you something and makes a humorous comment at the same time:

Why reeks the goat on yonder hill
Who daily dines on Chlorophyll?

Author unknown

No. Douglas Adams was no creationist. In fact, Dawkin's God Delusion is dedicated to his memory as the only known convert of Dawkins. I don't know whether Adams self-medicated and don't really care.

I was calling creationists Vogons and stating that their brains were misplaced, badly malformed, and dyspeptic livers.

To the riddle, I can only guess that the goat is dead. Who dines on chlorophyll? Well, by some definition, all multicellular life on the planet with the exception of the extremophiles living at the volcanic vents on the ocean floor. Close enough?

Whatever your cause, it’s a lost cause without population control. -- Paul Ehrlich

I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one. -- from moveon.org.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 07:06:43 PM » by Mr Gilly
To the riddle, I can only guess that the goat is dead. Who dines on chlorophyll? Well, by some definition, all multicellular life on the planet with the exception of the extremophiles living at the volcanic vents on the ocean floor. Close enough?

Well, you can add to that the "Ice Worms" living in the gravel under the edge of the Columbia Ice Field glacier in the Banff/Jasper Park area near the Continental Divide, and those creatures found in the caves in Romania and Israel, to name a few more.

The joke is a dated reference to the era when chewing gum was advertised as having chlorophyll added to freshen your breath and also implying that the goat's diner was mostly chlorophyll from grass and leaves. Was there a tooth paste that also added it, too, for breath freshness? Maybe Ipana, " I wonder where the Yellow went when I brush my teeth with Pepsodent?"

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:11:16 PM by Mr Gilly »

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 01:42:15 PM » by Misanthropic Scott
Well, you can add to that the "Ice Worms" living in the gravel under the edge of the columbia Ice Field glacier in the Banff/Jasper Park area near the Continental Divide, and those creatures found in the caves in Romania and Israel, to name a few more.

Good additions. I'm sure there are more. Some cave creatures are still living on chlorophyl by some definition, however. Any who make their living on energy provided by bats or other creatures who leave the cave on a regular basis are still getting their energy indirectly from plants.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 02:01:22 PM » by Mr Gilly
Well, you can add to that the "Ice Worms" living in the gravel under the edge of the columbia Ice Field glacier in the Banff/Jasper Park area near the Continental Divide, and those creatures found in the caves in Romania and Israel, to name a few more.

Good additions. I'm sure there are more. Some cave creatures are still living on chlorophyl by some definition, however. Any who make their living on energy provided by bats or other creatures who leave the cave on a regular basis are still getting their energy indirectly from plants.
Scott, I am not aware of just what nutrient(s) the Ice Worms are ingesting. But the various life forms in those caves which were previously not open to the outside world  were living on a Sulfur system not an Oxygen system. As you know, both Oxygen and Sulfur are sister Elements in the Periodic Table. This leads to speculation that there may be life in other parts of the Solar system and indeed the Universe that is not dependent on Oxygen in their food / metabolism systems. The common denominator is still water for the solvent.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Romanian+cave+contains+novel+ecosystem-a018466356

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:07:35 PM by Mr Gilly »

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:49 PM » by Misanthropic Scott

Scott, I am not aware of just what nutrient(s) the Ice Worms are ingesting. But the various life forms in those caves which were previously not open to the outside world  were living on a Sulfur system not an Oxygen system. As you know, both Oxygen and Sulfur are sister Elements in the Periodic Table. This leads to speculation that there may be life in other parts of the Solar system and indeed the Universe that is not dependent on Oxygen in their food / metabolism systems. The common denominator is still water for the solvent.

Very cool on the cave creatures. As for the ice worms, I had to check. They feed on snow algae. So, they are dependent on chlorophyll after all.

(Read 2640 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

LatestNews

Read Dvorak Uncensored